Friday, September 9, 2011

Coffee, Purple Haze Carrots, Sweet Peas and Raspberries for Breakfast

After brewing a strong cup of coffee this morning, I headed out to water the garden.  



While I was watering I found myself snacking on Purple Haze carrots fresh out of the ground 


sweet peas straight from the vine




 and fresh raspberries ripe from the bush.

So that is what I had for breakfast.  



Here is today's raspberry harvest.  Tim will be lucky if he gets any.  
I may just have raspberries for lunch too.



Walter is always close by when I'm out playing in the gardens.  
He thinks it is his job to protect me at all times.  I guess he's protecting me from the grasshoppers.  

The peas started growing up one of the cucumber plants and as I was searching for mature peas I found  this gigantic cucumber resting on the rim of the raised bed.  

It has either been successfully hiding from Tim, or he was purposefully seeing how big it will get if not harvested along with all the others he has harvested for pickle making.

The cucumber plants are producing at least 20 new cucumbers a week! Tim has been busy making at least one batch of pickles a week.  Here you can see all of his "putting up" efforts.  Jars of homemade tomato sauce, Palisade peaches, habanero spiced pickles, and homebrew adorn the shelf above the sink in the kitchen.

Golden Beets are my all time favorite vegetable.  Roasted with a little truffle oil and served with goat cheese and pine nuts, almonds or walnuts over a bed of fresh greens with a little sea salt.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
For labor day weekend we headed down to Westcliff Colorado to hang out with some long time friends of Tim's.  We harvested some of our golden beets for the first time.  They were amazingly sweet!  We also harvested some cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, endive, and spinach.   We had wonderful local meals all weekend long.  Some from our garden and some from the gardens of the Westcliff crew.

1 comment:

  1. The raspberries look perfect. And you are making me want to create that beet salad too.

    ReplyDelete