Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Quality time with the chickens

I have to admit, I was bit apprehensive about the prospect of raising chickens in a climate that only has 3 months without any possibility of snow.  But Tim built this awesome chicken house, and mail ordered the little creatures before I could protest.

The chicken house is raised off the ground and can be moved from place to place, fertilizing the soil (thank you Micheal Pollan for the inspiration) in the "summer" of our near arctic climate. Ok I'm exaggerating about the climate, but only a little bit!  The chicken house really is quite awesome.  Tim designed and built it to match our house which you can see in the background.  Because the HOA covenants restrict us from having fences in our neighborhood, we "free range" the chickens in the evening while enjoying a glass of wine on the back deck.   




Two of the roof pitches are on hinges and lift up to either get into the nesting box to collect eggs (left side of photo) or into the main house to refill the food and water.

Tim and Twin Niece B checking out the chickens.

Alethea and Twin Niece A peering into the chicken house from the window.  The chickens even have a window that they can admire the view out of. 

Twin B and GG.

No eggs yet,but they are due to start laying in October.  For the time being, we have arranged to trade fresh Basil (which we have plenty of!!) for fresh eggs with another North Routt Family.  I love that the barter system is still alive and well!!!

4 comments:

  1. Happy chickies!!! I love it! Chickens are the best...all their little noises and personalities! So fun! You guys have done a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, you included Twin Nieces A and B. Tim did such a phenomenal job on this little hen house.
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure all will be revealed in due time but I'm wondering what happens with them in the winter. Is the henhouse heated?? Wouldn't be surprised if Tim had managed that! how many do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  4. heated and insulated!!

    ReplyDelete